Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Johnstown Week 15

For Memorial day there wasn't anything special that went on, and no, we didn't have a barbecue.... it's sad but that's the one thing that everyone feeds us once the summer hits. Barbecue chicken or hamburgers, and really that's pretty much it, on occasion we'll get fed steak or spare ribs but, everyone says that it's barbecue season!

So I was going to send out a picture with this e-mail but, I forgot my camera and chord so I could put it on the computer. I was looking at a picture that was taken of me at the Top of the Inclined Plane and I started laughing! Why? Because i'm getting chubby! HA! I looked at that picture of me at Dawn's baptism and then the picture of me taken yesterday, and I couldn't believe it! It was so funny, but Elder Page says it's inevitable for it to happen, and there's no way to be able to get into better shape than when you came out. So yes, I have gained weight, I'm a little more plump around the face and stomach haha! It's not too bad, but it's noticeable.

So you wanted to know what an average day is like for a missionary? okay!
* 6:30 am the alarm goes off,
* exercise for a half hour or so,
* shower, shave, brush teeth, etc. (prepare for the day)
* eat breakfast
* 8 am begin personal study
* 9am begin companion study
* 10am head out the door for work
Our work days go from 10 am to 9pm with an hour long lunch and dinner break in between. when we're not eating we are knocking on doors, talking to people on the street, teaching people we have appointments with, visiting members and seeing if they have anyone that we can talk to about the gospel and what not. At 9pm we get back to the apartment, and plan out our next day, then it's lights out at 10:30pm, then the alarm goes off again at 6:30 the next morning and we start again the next day. That's a normal day for missionaries.

This week went by pretty fast for me and there wasn't that much exciting that went on! I got to go on exchanges with an Elder that has been out about 3 weeks, so I was basically senior companion. It was crazy to have that experience because that's what I'll be doing in a few weeks if things go according to plan: training and teaching a new elder how to be a missionary. wow. It's very exciting and I'm very honored that President Summerhays had found me to be ready to be able to take on such a responsibility already. It will be hard I'm sure, missionary work always is, but I know that the Lord will be there to help us and make us the best instruments in his hands that we can be! So that's comforting.

Our investigators Chris and Nicole, are doing well! They are really willing to learn and wanting to live right! We taught them the word of wisdom this past week and they understood it well and why we need it. They really love Iced Tea and Iced Coffee but we committed them to cut back and eventually quit drinking it one day. They also need to get married!! They said that the only thing that's keeping them from tying the knot is the money issue. We let them know that our Bishop here will do it for free and they can use the church building for free. They also say that when you get married, costs start going up, like insurance, taxes, bills and what not. They feel like they are married at heart, meaning they know that they are going to be together for the rest of their lives, but just "can't afford" to make it official for now. They just need to know that when they start making steps to live the way God wants us to, then God will help them and "provide a way for them, that
they might accomplish the thing, which He commandeth them." They'll do what's right, they're good people.

Being out here and being a missionary has really opened up my eyes to how important this church is and how important Joseph Smith was to restoring the church! As a missionary we have the opportunity to teach people about him and the things he did, and every time we talk about him and his vision of God the Father and Jesus Christ, the Spirit is so strong there and strengthens my testimony of the reality of his vision, and how he really was a true prophet, and it's amazing to see people find that testimony too! And discover for themselves that this is the only true and living church on the face of the earth, and we have the   privilege of being a part of it. I'm very grateful for the Holy Ghost and how it plays such a profound part in all of the work that we do and
in the lives we live. There's is nothing better than helping people find the truth. And it makes it worth all the many many many doors that are shut on us when people refuse to listen. My skin is probably 3 inches thick by now, no kidding! ;) But that's okay, that's what comes with the job.

The people out here are really nice and and all the trees have turned green too! It's so beautiful, I've never seen so many trees in my life! It's pretty amazing! I know the Church is true. Joseph Smith was and is a true prophet of God. Christ lives and loves us. God loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment