Friday, October 8, 2010

Pittsburgh Week 8

It's my 8 month mark yesterday! :)

Yes, conference was amazing!! (http://new.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2010/10?lang=eng). I absolutely loved it! I wish I had my notes with me right now so I could share with you a lot of the things that I learned While listening to it. I think one of the main themes to this conference was "Wickedness never was happiness" (Alma 41:10) I heard that quoted in talks probably 10 times! But I must say that that is a very very true statement. Seriously how could wickedness be happiness, when the only true happiness comes from the knowledge of the truth and found only in the gospel of Jesus Christ! When one sins all they feels is pleasure at the time of the sin and then guilt and remorse after words. While one who is living the gospel of Jesus Christ (faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end) feels nothing but happiness as they strive to live it's teachings because God is pleased with them. That's the main thing that I really got from conference. But it truly was amazing. I always love hearing the talks that are prepared by the prophets and apostles, I always come away more inspired and having a greater desire to work hard and to do good! Especially as a missionary.

This week was a little rough for us. We had a lot of appointments fall through with less active members and with investigators that we would have had a member with us. We have a lot of good appointments with
investigators set up for this week that we are excited for. Our investigator Baily is in a different situation. She has a really close friend that is dying of leukemia, is in her latter stages, and lives over in Philipsburgh, an hour north of Johnstown. So she wants to spend her weekends over there to be with her, and she expressed her apologies in which she wants to come to church really bad but she won't be here in Pittsburgh. However, we told her that there was a branch building over there in which she could attend church and she said that she totally would go without a doubt. Now we're wondering what we should do with her baptismal situation. She accepted the invitation whole-heartedly and wants to be baptized but the church attendance here, is the set back and we weren't able to set her with a date. So that will be fun to get around. Baily is our only set investigator, we have others that we're trying to get in contact with again, and so we can teach them.

Other than that we have been working hard. We started keeping track of our OYM's (number of people we talk to on the street, OYM= open your mouth) and we are seeing our skills in that starting to increase and our
shells coming off even more when it comes to talking to people. I love being able to talk to people and knowing what to say when I need to, to get them interested in the restored gospel. The Spirit is amazing in
that sense in which it tells us what that person needs. It's not like a voice saying tell this person this, but it's a feeling of, I think I'll talk about.... with this person. So it's pretty neat.

I am feeling so much better I was completely recovered by the time Wednesday came around. Thank you so much for the card and for all your prayers that I would get better I sure felt them and I truly believe that's what attributed to my speedy recovery. Thanks!
Love,
Elder Benjamin Serrano

No comments:

Post a Comment