Friday, April 2, 2010

Johnstown Week 5

Dawn Owens is now officially SISTER Dawn Owens!! The baptism was so amazing!! I was able to play the piano for it, the prelude and the hymns. There were some amazing talks that were given by ward members,
and the baptism was fantastic! Elder Zaleski was the one who got to physically baptize her. Here whole family was there supporting her which was a really big blessing too! Everyone felt the Spirit there! Her boyfriend, Alfanzo, who is also an investigator felt the spirit so strongly that he started to get a little teary-eyed and he asked if that was normal, and we said that of course it was! Dawns knee, though, came out the first time the was baptized and so we had to do it again of course. We had a few problems with the font: it didn't fill up as much as we would have liked, and the water was kind of cold haha... But other than that it went really well! On Sunday Dawn was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! She chose me to be the one who confirmed her! I was a little nervous, because I really didn't know how it was all going to play out, but we went up in front of the whole congregation in sacrament and confirmed her.

It was such a great meeting! It was our Easter program so there were musical numbers and what not. I had the wonderful opportunity to be a part of that program. I, along with the organist played a duet of the
hymn, That Easter Morn. And it turned out wonderfully!  I got to go on exchanges with the Zone Leaders, so one of them came here to Johnstown and I was the one that was leading everything and going places and he was following me, it was kind of nerve racking because he is WAY more experienced than me! But it was fun nonetheless because he's just an outstanding missionary, and his name is Benjamin too!! haha!

My companion and I are getting along just great! We've become real good friends and are learning more to teach in unity..He just awesome and a great example to me. We ran out of mileage on our car, so we get to ride bikes everywhere, which is kind of a rough thing because there isn't a flat road in all of Johnstown haha! so it's always going to be uphill where ever we go, except for coming home, then we get to go down hill!  Slowly and cautiously of course :)

We're assigned to one ward. It covers huge ground! It probably takes an hour and a half to drive from top to bottom and 45 min to drive side to side, so it's fairly large.  The members there are so fantastic, and loving, and very generous when it comes to feeding us! Its so delicous all the time!

We're getting a few more investigators, Jay and Manda are coming along. Jay really wants to learn, but Manda is really shy at the moment.  She'll come out of her shell soon though. The members help too in
fellowshipping, so she should be fine. The problem is Jay loves to talk alot so we don't get enough teaching in as we would like to. He's just looking for a good spiritual foundation for his family, which is the gospel.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is awesome! Is Elder Zaleski your companion? That name brings back some memories.
    We had an Elder Zaleski who visits us in Philippines. If my memory does not fail me, I think it was him who baptized your dad & Lola.

    I wonder if they are related. I can see his face in my mind. Those were the days, 30 some years ago.

    ReplyDelete